Internal medicine or general medicine is the medical specialty dealing with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of adult diseases. Internal medicine physicians (internists) are skilled in the management of patients who have undifferentiated or multi-system disease processes. Internists care for hospitalized and ambulatory patients and may play a major role in teaching and research.
The Internal Medicine Department at Rehman Medical Institute (RMI) provides acute and sub-acute secondary care for medical patients, from acute presentation through to final rehabilitation and discharge. Our department, led by accomplished Consultants, Registrars, Residents, interns and support staff, provides an acute medical assessment unit and deliver a consultation liaison service to other allied specialties of Medicine, Surgery & Allied, Gynecology & Obstetrics and Pediatric department.
Many of our patients are admitted from Emergency and others through our hospital clinics. We care for people who are in hospital, have been to hospital or need to come to hospital for:
- Diagnosis of unclear medical conditions
- Multiple medical conditions, so you don't need to go to more than one clinic
- Suspected cancer, before having tissue tests done (which is required for referral to cancer services)
- Hypertension and Diabetes
- General Internal Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Critical Care Service
- Comprehensive Health Care Clinic
- Daily consultant review of inpatients admitted to General Medicine
- Acute medical assessment for patients admitted in the first 24 hours (Early Patient Intervention Centre)
- 24 hour consultant led emergency medical cover for the hospital
- 24 hour on-site medical registrar cover for the hospital
- Consultation Liaison Service to Surgical Services, Cancer Care, Obstetrics/Gynecology and Mental Health for patients experiencing anxiety before any major procedure.
- Internal Medicine Day Treatment Unit – a 6 bed facility allowing patients to come in during the day for treatments and clinical review
- Rehabilitation Unit/Day Hospital
- Private Practice Specialist Clinics