The department of cardiothoracic surgery operates the thoracic (chest) organs. A cardiothoracic surgeon specialises in surgical procedures of the heart, lungs, esophagus, arteries and veins and other organs in the chest. These surgeons also treat diseases that occur in the organs inside chest and the bony structures and tissues that form the chest cavity.
Rehman medical institute’s Department of Cardiovascular and thoracic Surgery is the first department of its kind in the province leading the way in performing state of the art cardiac surgery. Our clinicians perform more than 1000 surgeries annually. The foundation of the department is heart surgeon Prof. Dr. Muhammad Rehman’s legacy of innovation.
We are proud to be the pioneer of establishing cardiovascular & thoracic surgery service that is at par with international standard and continue to invest in research and development to further improve and inculcate the latest practices and technology to help further patient care.
The department boasts a complete team comprising of surgeons, cardiac anesthetists, cardiac intensivists, perfusionists and allied staff working round the clock. It is recognized for its coronary artery, aortic, valvular, thoracic, and congenital cardiac disease treatments.
CHAIRMAN: Prof Muhammad Rehman
HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT: Dr. Azam Jan
CONSULTANT: Dr. Amer Muhammad
Dr. Baha Ud Din - Asst. Prof. and Consultant
Dr. Rafat Shakil - Consultant Cardiothoracic
SENIOR REGISTRAR: Dr. Somaiyya Rehman
TRAINING MEDICAL OFFICERS: Dr. Jamil Ur Rehman
Dr. Tahir Iqbal
Dr. Sajid Khan
Dr. Hussain Shah
Dr. Nabil I. Awan
1. Coronary artery surgery
Coronary artery bypass surgery is a procedure to restore blood flow to the heart by bypassing the narrowed coronary arteries.
2. Valvular heart surgery
Heart valve surgery is a procedure to repair and replace narrowed or leaking heart valves.
3. Congenital cardiac surgery
Congenital cardiac surgery is a procedure to treat babies and children with heart diseases that have been present from birth. These conditions include; septal defects (a hole between two of the heart’s chambers) and aortic and pulmonary valve stenosis (where the valve is narrower than normal).
Approximately 50,000 infants in Pakistan are born with Congenital Heart Defect every year and almost 25% of them need immediate surgery in the first year of their life.
4. Aortic surgery
Open aortic surgery (OAS), also known as open aortic repair (OAR), describes a technique replacing an enlarged or damaged blood vessel leaving the heart.
5. Minimally invasive aortic surgery (EVAR, TEVAR)
Aorta is the major blood vessel in the body emerging from heart and carries blood to all the organs of rest of the body. Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair (TEVAR) is a minimally invasive procedure to repair aorta in case it is damaged due to some trauma or blocked because of any disorder.
6. Thoracic surgery
Cardiothoracic surgery is the field of medicine involved in surgical treatment of organs inside the thoracic cavity generally surgery for lung cancer, tumours and cysts, surgery on collapsed or infected lungs, key hole thoracic surgery (video assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS)) and chest-wall deformities (pectus surgery).
7. Hybrid vascular surgery
Hybrid Vascular Procedures is a model that has embraced the importance of combining both open surgical techniques and endovascular interventions in the management of vascular diseases.
8. Emergency cardio-thoracic and vascular surgery
Cardiovascular emergencies are life-threatening disorders that must be recognized immediately to avoid delay in treatment and to minimize sickness and mortality. Patients may present with severe hypertension, chest pain, dysrhythmia, or cardiopulmonary arrest. Treatments include angioplasty, stent placement, ablation, open heart surgery, coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) and heart valve repair or replacement.
9. Minimally invasive thoracic surgery
Minimally invasive thoracic surgery is a way of performing surgery in the chest through small incisions, without making large cuts in the body, and does not require spreading apart of the ribs.
10. Cardiothoracic and vascular oncology surgery
A cardiothoracic surgeon is a medical doctor who specializes in surgical procedures of the heart, lungs, esophagus, and other organs in the chest. RMI have highly skilled experts, specializing in surgeries of heart, thoracic and vascular. They also treat thoracic and cardiac cancers by removing it precisely with surgery.
11. Cardiothoracic and vascular intensive care unit
Cardiovascular intensive care unit (CICU) is a hospital ward that specializes in the care of patients who have experienced ischemic heart disease as well as other severe heart disease. Furthermore, the patients in the CICU often have various complications such as respiratory failure and renal failure.
12. Cardiothoracic and vascular anesthetists
A cardiothoracic anesthesiologist provides anesthesia to surgical cases involving the heart, lungs, and other operations of the human chest, including bypass surgery and other procedures ranging from minimally invasive surgery, robotic surgery, and complex multi-stage aortic surgery.
Tests and procedures that detect heart muscle damage include:
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) to record electrical activity in the heart muscle. They may confirm that a heart attack has occurred. Continuous ECG monitoring (known as telemetry) allows the doctor to detect and immediately treat any unstable heart rhythms caused by the damaged heart muscle and sluggish pumping that follows a heart attack.
- Blood tests to show an increase in heart muscle enzymes that are released from the damaged heart cells into the blood after a heart attack.
- Chest X-rays to check the size of the heart and evaluate the lungs for fluid overload.
- Echocardiogram to evaluate the heart's pumping function and the heart valves.
- Nuclear Scan to determine if the heart muscle is irreversibly damaged or may be improved by restoring blood flow.
- Cardiac catheterization to assess the coronary arteries and the extent of injury.
RMI Operation Theatres are equipped with latest technology machines which includes:
- Cardiopulmonary Bypass Machine
- Intra-aortic Balloon Pump
- Cardiac Monitoring
- Adult and Pediatric Ventilators
- Hybrid Operating Theatres for Vascular Procedures
- Trans-Thoracic and Trans-Esophageal Echocardiography
- Hemodialysis Machine
- Full electric hospital beds
- Hospital Management Information System
- Cardiac Computed Tomography
- ECG gated Computed Tomography
- Handheld Ultrasound Doppler
- One of the highest volume centers in the country
- First EVAR of the province.
- First TEVAR of the province.
- Hybrid vascular procedures.
- First cardio-thoracic and vascular surgery department of the province
- Established the Association of Khyber Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgeons