Rehman medical institute’s Department of Cardiovascular and thoracic Surgery is the first department of its kind in the province leading the way in performing state of the art cardiac surgery. Our clinicians perform more than 1000 surgeries annually, building on heart surgeon Prof. Dr. Muhammad Rehman’s legacy of innovation. It is proud to be the pioneer of establishing cardiovascular & thoracic surgery service that is at par with international standard and continue to invest in research and development to further improve and inculcate the latest practices and technology to help further patient care.
The department boasts a complete team comprising of surgeons, cardiac anesthetists, cardiac intensivists, perfusionists and allied staff working round the clock. It is recognized for its coronary artery, aortic, valvular, thoracic, and congenital cardiac disease treatments.
- One of the highest volume centers in the country
- First EVAR of the province.
- First TEVAR of the province.
- Hybrid vascular procedures.
- First cardio-thoracic and vascular surgery department of the province
- Established the Association of Khyber Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgeons
CHAIRMAN: Prof Muhammad Rehman
HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT: Dr. Azam Jan
ASSISSTANT PROFESSOR: Dr. Syed Mumtaz Anwar
CONSULTANT: Dr. Amer Muhammad
SENIOR REGISTRAR: Dr. Somaiyya Rehman
TRAINING MEDICAL OFFICERS: Dr. Jamil Ur Rehman
Dr. Tahir Iqbal
Dr. Sajid Khan
Dr. Hussain Shah
Dr. Nabil I. Awan
Diagnostic Procedures We Offer:
Tests and procedures that detect heart muscle damage include:
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) to record electrical activity in the heart muscle. They may confirm that a heart attack has occurred. Continuous ECG monitoring (known as telemetry) allows the doctor to detect and immediately treat any unstable heart rhythms caused by the damaged heart muscle and sluggish pumping that follows a heart attack.
- Blood tests to show an increase in heart muscle enzymes that are released from the damaged heart cells into the blood after a heart attack.
- Chest X-rays to check the size of the heart and evaluate the lungs for fluid overload.
- Echocardiogram to evaluate the heart's pumping function and the heart valves.
- Nuclear Scan to determine if the heart muscle is irreversibly damaged or may be improved by restoring blood flow.
- Cardiac catheterization to assess the coronary arteries and the extent of injury.
Latest Surgical Equipment:
RMI Operation Theatres are equipped with latest technology machines which includes:
- Cardiopulmonary Bypass Machine
- Intra-aortic Balloon Pump
- Cardiac Monitoring
- Adult and Pediatric Ventilators
- Hybrid Operating Theatres for Vascular Procedures
- Trans-Thoracic and Trans-Esophageal Echocardiography
- Hemodialysis Machine
- Full electric hospital beds
- Hospital Management Information System
- Cardiac Computed Tomography
- ECG gated Computed Tomography
- Handheld Ultrasound Doppler