Gynaecology and Obstetrics
The Ob/Gyn & Women’s Health Institute is designed to meet the unique and changing medical needs of women from adolescence to mature adulthood. Our team offers coordinated and supportive care for the programs that affect women’s lives from infertility, incontinence, gynaecologic cancers, pelvic floor disorders, menopause and more. We are committed to providing world-class care to women of all ages.
The Ob/Gyn & Women’s Health Institute offers a full complement of subspecialty services that fall within the field of women’s health, from general gynaecologic care to complex oncology surgery for gynaecologic malignancies. The Institute model has streamlined the care of women, enhanced research opportunities, and improved the education of physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals.
We offer a wide array of Women’s Health services including the use of minimally invasive surgical techniques, treatments for infertility, menstrual disorders, urogynaecology and pelvic floor disorders, menopause and more.
Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- General Gynaecology
- Obstetrics & Family Maternity Center
Subspecialty Care for Women's Health
- Center for Endometriosis & Chronic Pelvic Pain
- Fertility Center
- Gynaecologic Infectious Diseases
- Gynaecologic Oncology
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine (High-Risk Pregnancy)
- Center for Menstrual Disorders, Fibroids & laparoscopic Services
- Minimally Invasive Gynaecologic Surgery
- Postpartum Care Clinic
- Pregnancy & Cancer Program
- Center for Specialized Women's Health
- Urogynaecology & Pelvic Floor Disorders
- Women's Weight Management Program
- Infertility Center
Physicians at RMI provide a full range of general gynaecologic services for women, from yearly examinations and screenings to highly specialized procedures. General gynaecologic problems include abnormal bleeding, chronic pelvic pain, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, loss of bladder control, pelvic floor disorders, problems with pelvic support and paediatric and adolescent gynaecology.
Our staff is especially compassionate and skilled in examining girls and young women and in helping parents understand that gynaecologic problems are not outgrown – they must be addressed and treated. Treatment and education can benefit both children and their parents.
- Pelvic Pain
- Sexually Transmitted Disease
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Vaginal Discharge
- Yeast Infections
- Pap Test
- Pelvic Exam
- Birth Control
Obstetricians and gynaecologists offer specialized care for women, including comprehensive prenatal care, labour and delivery, preventive health screenings and general gynaecology. If necessary, the expertise of other gynaecologic specialists is available in areas such as infertility, high-risk obstetrics and gynaecologic cancer.
- Common Pregnancy Concerns
There are several conditions that can affect your baby's development.
- Group B Streptococcus and Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Induced Hypertension (PIH)
- Premature Labour
- Gestational Diabetes
- Umbilical Cord Prolapse
- Hyperemesis Gravid arum (Severe Nausea and Vomiting During Pregnancy)
- Zika Virus
Pregnancy can be a stressful and emotionally challenging time for many families. We have the expertise and resources to help, whether you have an underlying medical condition, problems with poor pregnancy outcomes, or a suspected or known problem with your baby (fetus).
Our high-risk pregnancy-related services include preconception planning, pregnancy management (primary or consultative) and delivery.
You may be a candidate for our services if you:
- Are carrying a baby with a birth defect or other suspected problem
- Will be 35 years old or older at the time of conception
- Have a family history or previous child with birth defects
- Have a family history of a genetic disorder
- Have a history of poor pregnancy outcomes (recurrent miscarriage, stillbirth, premature delivery)
- Have a history of pregnancy-related complications (premature delivery, preeclampsia, gestational diabetes)
- Have a serious medical condition (high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, inflammatory bowel disease, autoimmune disorders, etc.)
- Have a multiple gestation (twins, triplets, or even higher order)
- Screening for Chromosome Abnormalities in Pregnancy
- Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT)
- Prenatal Testing and Diagnosis
Chronic pelvic pain is a condition that affects about one in seven women worldwide. It is defined as pain located beneath the belly button and lasting longer than six months. Although your physician may make the diagnosis of chronic pelvic pain, further information is required to pinpoint the exact cause (or causes) of your condition. Determining this cause may not be straightforward and often requires multiple visits to your provider.
- Interstitial Cystitis
- Pelvic Floor Muscle Spasm, Levator Spasm, High Tone Pelvic Floor
Our center focuses on diagnosing and treating infections that impact a woman’s gynaecologic and reproductive health. The infections may be those of the female reproductive tract and female genitalia, infections during pregnancy, pelvic infections, post-operative infections, and sexually transmitted infections.
Gynaecologic cancers affect a woman’s reproductive organs, including cervix, uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, vagina and vulva.
RMI team approach of involving multiple specialists can be the most important factor in cancer treatment. Our oncologists work closely with gynaecologic pathologists, radiation oncologists, radiologists, nurse practitioners and physician assistants. Together, they provide a careful blend of accurate diagnosis, surgical skill, leading-edge radiation therapy, advanced chemotherapy and compassionate care.
The following are risk factors for different kinds of gynaecologic cancers. Each cancer has its own general risk factors, and may affect women in various ways.
Risk factors include:
- Post-menopausal (over age 50)
- Endometrial hyperplasia – a condition where the cells of the endometrium are abnormal
- Cervical dysplasia – a condition where the cervical cells are abnormal
- High blood sugar
- Other cancers (colon, rectal, breast)
- Early age of first menstruation
- Women who have never been pregnant
- Hormone-related issues
- Family history of breast or ovarian cancer
In RMI for Menstrual Disorders, Fibroids and Laparoscopic services, we use a streamlined, unified interdisciplinary approach to evaluate your problem and arrive at the best treatment for you. We appropriate have tools to evaluate your problems. Our team includes physicians with extensive surgical experience and knowledge.
A comprehensive workup in the Center for Menstrual Disorders, Fibroids and Laparoscopic services will shed light on the reason for a woman's bleeding problems. Possible causes include:
- Uterine fibroids
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Uterine polyps (endometrial polyps)
- Inherited susceptibility to bleeding
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
Following your evaluation, we will openly discuss all treatment options available to you. Treatments may involve medical management, non-surgical solutions, or minimally invasive or standard surgery.
- Non-surgical Fibroids Therapy
- Abdominal Myomectomy
- Minimally Invasive Myomectomy
- Endometrial Ablation
- Laparoscopic/robot-assisted Hysterectomy
- Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE)
- Vaginal Hysterectomy
In the Postpartum Care clinic, our team of experts focus on helping women who have complex postpartum conditions. Most women experience a tear during childbirth. However, up to 15% of women may have complex vaginal lacerations, infection or abnormal healing, urinary or bowel control problems, pain, or fistulas. These issues can be embarrassing to discuss and often women feel isolated and overwhelmed. It is developed to help women during this very challenging time.
- Advanced or complex vaginal lacerations
- Episiotomy issues
- Urinary leakage
- Bowel leakage, including gas and/or stool
- Other bowel and bladder control issues
- Infection and abnormal healing
- Painful intercourse
- Vaginal or vulvar pain
Cancer complicates approximately one in a 1000 pregnancies.
Patients who have cancer and are pregnant need to have their oncologist work with a maternal-fetal medicine specialist who can provide counselling about treatment and offer high-risk pregnancy management.
With advances in oncologic care, more patients are being cured of their disease. Female cancer survivors are increasingly considering pregnancy or conceiving; however, cancer and cancer treatment can have long-lasting effects on a woman’s health.
While the majority of female cancer survivors have a good chance of having a healthy pregnancy, some will experience treatment-related side effects that impact their ability to become pregnant or place them at higher risk for complications during pregnancy.
This Pregnancy and Cancer program was created to help:
- Patients who have become pregnant while undergoing cancer treatment.
- Patients who have been diagnosed with cancer during their pregnancy.
- Patients who have received treatment for cancer and who are now pregnant.
- Patients who would like to become pregnant after receiving cancer treatment.
The Center for Specialized Women's Health specializes in interdisciplinary mid-life women’s health.
Women can access specialized health care at the Center for Specialized Women's Health as well as referral to other areas of the clinic if needed. In addition to routine wellness exams and health care screenings by our nurse practitioner, we offer Custom Fit Physicals for women, menopause consults and evaluation and treatment of numerous medical problems of special concern to women including osteoporosis, hormone disorders, urinary leakage, sexual dysfunction, menstrual disorders, vulvar problems and weight concerns.
Center professionals are happy to accommodate patients who are seeking second opinions, as well as patients who prefer female providers.
The Center for Specialized Women’s Health is adjacent to the Clinic’s Breast Center.
What sets the Center for Specialized Women's Health apart from many women’s clinics is its interdisciplinary approach, in which physicians with different medical specialties, nurses and other allied health professionals collaborate on patient care. Women can come to the center for menstrual, breast and hormonal concerns, and other conditions specific to women and receive a complete menu of services, from consultation to imaging, to outpatient surgical procedures – all custom-designed for the individual.
Physicians from the Clinic’s Breast Center, Gynaecology, Medicine, Endocrinology and Psychiatry converge at the Center for Specialized Women's Health, some working only at the center, while others rotate in from other offices one to two days a week.
In addition to standard health screenings and consultations, the center handles cross-disciplinary issues and special concerns. Often these physical concerns can lead to psychological issues and the center is there to help with that, too.
The center handles cross-disciplinary issues and special concerns such as:
- Breast Cancer risk assessment
- Hormonal and menstrual disorders
- Use of bio identical hormone therapy
- Medical treatment urinary incontinence including pelvic stimulating devices
- Sexual dysfunction
- Vulvar and vaginal disorders
- Osteoporosis prevention and treatment
- Custom Fit Physicals for women
- Breast Cancer
- Cervical Dysplasia
- Generalized weight management
- Medical Management Of Urinary Incontinence
- Obesity Management for Women
- Obesity & Infertility management
- Obesity & Cancer management
- Obesity & Pregnancy management
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Sexually Transmitted Disease
- Uterine Fibroids
In the Section of Urogynaecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery, our physicians have been performing a number of innovative techniques for the diagnosis and treatment of urinary and fecal incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse and other pelvic floor disorders.
CRM (center of reproductive medicine) is an ever-renewing fertility center, constantly introducing new state of the art technology, adjusting rapidly to changes and challenges in the field, while constantly enduring high success rates.
As a result of a collaborative team of fertility specialists, counsellors, scientists and nurses we have been able to develop a fully integrated network that allows us to provide support at every step of your fertility journey.
- IUI (INTRA UTERINE INSEMINATION)
- IVF (IN-VITRO FERTILIZATION)
- ICSI (INTRA CYTOPLASMIC SPERM INJECTION)